We will meet next Thursday at the West Des Moines Senior Center at 134 6th Street, West Des Moines (this is in Valley Junction, just off Railroad Ave) -- hope to see you there! We start to gather around 6:30 to chat and catch up, meeting starts at 6:45 pm.
Kathi Russi will be presenting "Simple Shape Quilts" and talking about her newly released book; co-written with Rose Schutte.
GOOD NEWS: We have a new permanent meeting location for 2015! Details at the meeting...
At the September meeting of the DSMMQG, the board presented options for 2015 membership.
- The first vote put to the membership was whether or not we would continue to be a GUILD MEMBER of the National Modern Quilt Guild. This came as a result of many members having expressed concerns that we were not getting the benefits we expected from National MQG Membership.
- The DSMMQG voted to DISCONTINUE our National Quilt Guild Membership, effective Dec 31, 2014.
The next topic of discussion was whether we should continue as an independent guild (as we did our first two+ years) collecting dues, voting a Board of leadership, organizing speakers/programs, etc. OR disband as a GUILD and become a MODERN GROUP or CLUB within the umbrella of the Des Moines Area Quilt Guild.
As individuals, we would join the Des Moines Area Quilters Guild (www.dmaqg.org) and within that guild, belong to the MODERN GROUP and will continue to meet once a month, schedule sewing days, etc. As members of the DMAQG we would have access to their monthly meeting (4th Tuesday of month at 1:00 or 7:00 pm) their speakers and workshops, an extensive library, retreats twice a year, entrance into the quilt show that is held in conjunction with the AQS Show at Hy-Vee Hall, to name a few. Over one third of our current membership are already members of the DMAQG.
- The result of the vote was that we disband as the Des Moines Modern Quilt Guild and become the Des Moines Modern Quilt Group (within the umbrella of the DMAQG).
- We will continue to meet as we have 11 times during the year, plan sewing days and other group events, but will not collect dues, maintain financial records, keep minutes, etc.
- We will still need a STEERING COMMITTEE of approx. 3-4 people to maintain our meetings
If you are willing to serve on this STEERING COMMITTEE, please let us know. Our outgoing Board has worked hard for 2 years and are ready for time off from organizing the group.
Please reply to this email with questions or concerns, or leave a comment on the blog.
Please join us on Thursday the 16th--we always have a great time!